We have been receiving a lot of concerned calls about the newly emerged COVID-19 and its relationship to poultry and poultry products. There is a lot of misinformation online that is being shared. The Iowa Layer Health Technical Advisory Committee is available to address these concerns and provides the following guidance for poultry producers and professionals to help advise clients when asked about COVID-19:
- There is no evidence that COVID-19 can affect poultry including eggs, and chicken and turkey meat. These products are safe for human consumption.
- There is no evidence of transmission of poultry coronaviruses* to humans or other mammals
- There is no evidence of human coronavirus transmission to poultry, either.
Human-to-human contact is the main route of COVID-19 transmission. As a general precaution, remind everyone to:
- Wash their hands
- Disinfect surfaces
- Stay home if sick and to be fever-free for 24 hours before returning to For additional information:
Centers for Disease Control: www.cdc.gov/COVID19
Iowa Department of Public Health: https://idph.iowa.gov/
- How to Cope with Anxiety about Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- COVID-19 Environmental Cleaning and Disinfection Fact Sheet
If you have additional questions, please contact your local poultry veterinarian.
*Coronaviruses (CoVs) are a large group of viruses which continuously circulate in mammals and birds. The major CoVs in poultry, infectious bronchitis viruses (IBVs) and turkey coronaviruses (TCoVs), belong to the genus gammacoronavirus which is quite different from beta-CoVs that infect humans including the current COVID-19 .
Bill CarlsonMarch 21, 2020
What is the shipping charge to 89118? How do you ship? How do you guarentee live delivery to me?
I am interested in 12 turkeys
Kelsey SpottsMarch 23, 2020
Shipping from Hoover’s Hatchery is free. They ship USPS priority mail and we guarantee our birds 48 hours after you receive them.
hamid aryaradMarch 25, 2020
please let me know any time send the chick in california orange county
Kelsey SpottsMarch 25, 2020
I just sent you an email. Thank you, Kelsey
Comments are closed.